Sunday, May 5, 2013

Lice - mouthwash

After two bouts of lice in our family, I have tried a fair amount of things. First of all, when I had lice the first time, obviously the first thing I did was go buy some lice shampoo from the store.( I know, embarrassing). I treated my hair according to the instructions and when I started to nit, I was pulling out LIVE bugs! I did a second and different store treatment and still I got live bugs. Yuck!!! Someone who had had lice told me about using mouthwash. I will probably never buy lice shampoo again. Mouthwash worked awesome! You soak your hair with the mouthwash ( make sure it is saturated) and then put on a shower cap. You may need to put a towel around your neck to stop some of the dripping. Let it sit in your hair for 2 hours. After that rinse out the mouthwash and then rinse your hair with vinegar to loosen the glue on the nits. After you rinse out the vinegar then use some conditioner as a final step. Conditioner just helps ease the nitting process. Now comes the processes of nitting. I used the lice comb called nit free, but it might have a different name now. I never saw a live bug when nitting after using this treatment. I faithfully nit everyday for at least 7 days. After 7 days you could do another treatment if you wanted, but I felt after that many days of nitting and not finding any nits in the last few days that I was probably ok. I have read about using mayo or oil, but did not want to try to get all of that oily stuff out of the hair. This was only drawback is that you smell like mouthwash:). By the way I use the yellow listerine. Actually the off brand works fine too. Besides the treatment I was very obsessive about vacuuming and washing. Furniture, bedding, clothing, coats, boiling combs and hair stuff, ect. Necessary? I wasn't asking any chances. From now on you will probably alway see mouthwash in my bathroom closet and my nit comb. Oh, and by the way, the cashier at the store won't take a step back when you purchase mouthwash:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2015

2015